Tuesday, December 16, 2008

"Sorry Stupid" and the case of the missing homework

We've spent the last 3 weeks away from Josiah as he's finished up his semester in MA and I have resumed my midwifery clinicals in VA (a short-term solution-- I'm still looking for a site to complete them in MA). We're so excited to see Josiah tomorrow.

Only since we've started talking to him regularly on Skype has Abel really understood that Daddy is at home in our house. Until he saw the familiar apartment with his own eyes over the webcam, he talked about "Daddy on the choo-choo train". Josiah had indeed taken the train back to Boston after driving us down. He did not, however, remain on the train for the next week as Abel supposed.

Tonight when I got back from the birth center, I had the typical heart-warming welcome from Abel. Then, while I nursed Gwendolyn he stood on the stairs, sticking his head between the rails on the banister saying, "Hi momma!" "I love you SO MUCH" (several times) and "Look, me taller you momma" with all the enthusiasm of a two-year-old. How wonderful!

Unfortunately, its not only the sweet things he has learned to say. With all the advantages of this temporary move in with my young siblings I was quite shocked the first time that Abel, after Gwendolyn pulled his hair, said "Stupid Baby". I said, "Abel its not nice to say 'stupid'. You should say sorry to Gwendolyn." I was only more surprised when he said,
"Sorry stupid."
But he said it in the same regretful voice that he uses when he says "Sorry fussing" and "Sorry disobeying". And I realized that the word "for" must just seem superfluous to a two-year-old. Especially since he followed his apology with a kiss on his sister's cheek.

Then tonight we were looking for some missing homework. Nine-year-old Sally's homework. She knew right where she had left it. Mom was looking, Dad was looking. I was looking. Sally was fretting. Finally, "Abel, we're looking for Sally's homework. Do you know where it is?" "In the trash", he answered nonchalantly as he walked by, his mind clearly on something else. Sure enough. In the trash. Crumpled into a ball. I tracked him down again. "Abel, why did you throw Sally's homework in the trash?" "Because it was dirty," he said.

In other news, Gwendolyn is sitting up now. The drool-fest continues. No teeth yet. No sassy comments, either.

2 comments:

  1. Hello! I got your name from Melissa Bull. Would you mind sending me an e-mail? We're looking for a midwife. brennakate at gmail

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm definitely using this one the next time I don't have my homework. 'I'm not sure, but maybe my nephew put it in the trash.'

    ReplyDelete